Sunday, February 14, 2010

Taco Soup

This taco soup was served at a craft show where the school hosting the fundraiser opted to feed the crafters. I was one of the lucky crafters to get a cup. It was to die for and I had to ask for the recipe.

Now, just so you know, I have extra picky, finicky eaters...probably my fault because I tend to cater to them. I am always worried that they will starve to death if I don't get something in them for dinner because I do have the "no dinner, no bedtime snack" rule. I can't say this meal will be a favorite for your kids, but it is truly one of my favorite meals and I do think it is very kid friendly. It's topped with tortilla chips...how could a kid resist (mine excluded, of course)?

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 sm. onion, diced (I go for the already chopped onion in the frozen foods section)
(2) 4 oz. cans chopped green chiles (I get mild in case my kids do try a bite)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 c. water
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans - rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz.) can lima beans - rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans - rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz.) can white hominey - drained
3 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
Shredded Cheese
Tortilla Chips

Directions:
Brown beef & onion. Drain. Add all other ingredients except cheese & chips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 30 minutes. Top with cheese and cover with crushed chips. Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John Lennon

"I get by with a little help from my friends."

















Mama Made It








Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."